12.11.08

Tomorrow means what

Today, our lame ass administration began the task of reducing the budget(i.e. laying people off). We received an email this morning, suggesting that today would be the beginning of the layoffs. They didn't tell us who, just that bad news was coming....for someone. Cuts are going to go well into December. So, until the beginning of the year I'll be more uncomfortable at work than I have been. I have no idea if I'll be laid off. No clue. So everyday I'm expected to get up, go into work and act like the place isn't crumbling around me.
How do you work with knowing that you might not have a job tomorrow? That's a question I can't answer. What I can do. What I will do, is look for another job. Something that could potentially sustain me until I'm in the position to open up the sneaker boutique. Something that I won't miss when we move....
This financial crisis is exposing the inadequate leadership of soo many companies, states, cities, counties. The reality is that many of the people we have entrusted our leadership in have failed us. Part of this is our fault. Our fault for not asking more questions and demanding more answers. Not demanding accountability. And because we didn't require that someone be accountable, now we all are.
Here in Ohio. Seems like our leaders have only done a good job of one thing. Keeping us behind the 8-ball. We're never ahead of the curve. Never innovative. Never leader of the pack.

At the county, we have no idea what the plan is after all these job cuts. Nobody can tell me what positives we plan on bringing about in the midst of this troublesome time. Nobody knows what's next. How do we do the work with less people? What will we be asking from employees, going forward? How will we keep them happy? How will we provide service? How will service improve? How will we innovate? How will we retain quality employees? How will we attract needed employees? What responsibilities will the customer be asked to increase? What will we stop doing harder and do smarter? How will our leaders lead? What will the employees get for their work? How will we be rewarded? When do things improve? What happens when they do improve? What if things don't improve? When will we use technology to our advantage? When will we start doing business like a business?

No comments: