25.2.07

Bedside Baptist

Mrs. Patton is at church this morning. I went a couple of weeks ago, and tried to find the message among the endless rhetoric that I didn't necessarily agree with. Religion has always been a huge question for me. Not that I don't believe that there is a God, but the terms in which she blessed the earth with all of its beautiful things and people. The logic in me says...why is the God that I believe in, in competition with all other Gods. Why if God told us to be accepting and understanding and tolerant, do we despise people who don't believe what we do. Why do we not honor thy mother and father. Why has man determined that all men are not created equal, and the people who believe that the Bible's words should be lived out here on earth allow that to happen? Why are Christian's un-accepting of gay/lesbians? Why does the Black community use a religion that was used to enslave us as their salvation? Why do the folks who attend church every Sunday think they are entitled to something I am not? Why do they act as if they are better than me?

My relationship with God is good. I pray to her and talk to her and allow her to guide me. She gives me hope, allows me to feel good about my life and the lives of my family. She allows me to be happy...to work, and play. To be healthy. I pray to her that she continues to look over me and grant me the experiences of life. I pray to her that she keep my wife healthy...make her more healthy. I ask her to keep us safe. I pray to her my hopes and dreams. My wishes for the world. For the people who have nothing. The people being killed for no reason. For the people who are poor and discarded. For the people who have no hope.

I believe, just not the way others want me to. I believe the way that works best for me. I believe in the way I think she wants me to. I believe with ideas from different places and even religions.

Wifey doesn't force her religion on me. Which I'm grateful for, and she worships and believes differently than I do. That's fine with me...in fact I like it that way! I only hope that all those people in church are praying for something other than themselves. Because if they know there is something greater, then they should know that the world is a crazy place and so many people need a prayer said for them...at least a prayer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't beleive you haven't gotten any responses.

That was deep and so true. You have impressed me and continue to make me prouder each and every day.
I like that you are able to express your feelings in writing and that they are so profound.
I hope that this will give you some peace or at least some continment that you are being heard. You have a great message to get out to the world. I know that you are a good person and that God (she) will continue to bless you. Why do you refer to God as she? Interesting